Attorney at Law
In 1990 Cynthia founded the law office of CA Aziz P.A. now recognized as Aziz Law Firm. From its inception, its focus has been U.S. immigration and nationality law. Cynthia is a North Carolina State Board Certified Specialist in immigration and nationality law. Her professional memberships are numerous, and she has often served in leadership roles for these organizations.
Originally from New England, Ms. Aziz is of Lebanese descent. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts and her juris doctorate from New England School of Law in Boston. She was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar and, following her move to the South, was admitted to the North Carolina Bar and the U.S. Supreme Court Bar.
Recognized for her knowledge and commitment to the field of immigration law, Cynthia is often invited to plan, present, and/or write for CLE programs both at the state and national level as well as other community and professional symposiums throughout the state. Cynthia provides pro bono work when called upon by the Mecklenburg County Program, the Refugee Office of Catholic Social Services, Immigrant and Refugee Children’s Project of UNHCR, and has served as a mentor to her professional colleagues.
In 2001, Cynthia was recognized for her generous spirit. She was presented with the Elizabeth Gurvais Gruen Award—a Mentor Award given by the Carolinas Chapter of the AILA. In 1999, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte’s Chapter of Phi Delta recognized Cynthia as an honorary member of the Phi Beta Delta Honor Society of International Scholars for her significant contributions to the internationalization of the Charlotte community. In 1992, the mayor of Charlotte and Board of County Commissioners appointed Ms. Aziz to serve on the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Community Advisory Committee.
Cynthia is a member of or affiliated with the following organizations:
- American Immigration Lawyers Association — Past Chair of Carolinas Chapter, Current Immigration Court Liaison
- International House of Charlotte, North Carolina — Member of Board of Directors and Secretary
- National Immigration Project
- North Carolina Justice Center — Past member of the Board of Directors
- Past member of the Board of Directors of the Mecklenburg County Bar
- Board of Specialization for North Carolina State Bar, member and Chair of Committee on Immigration and Nationality
- National Center for Refugee and Immigrant Children of UNHCR and AILA